I created it as a way to help compare the generated source of 2 pages when doing development. Before creating this library, I had searched for another library to do something similar, but everything I evaluated gave results that were formatted slightly different than they way I wanted.
This code is designed to run in the browser, and uses the browser’s native DOM parsing to create a “prettified” string.
Libraries Used / Included
Originally written by Ariya Hidayat
Copyright (C) 2011 Sencha Inc.
- Originally written by Einar Lielmanis
Most modern browsers are supported with the caveat that IE support/output is somewhat strange.
Tag names will be in all uppercase because IE doesn’t support node.prefix and node.localName when parsing DOM nodes
For the same reason above, namespaces will not be printed correctly: <svg:svg /> will turn into <SVG />
<style /> and <script /> tags lose their contents
Doctype nodes are treated as a comment (standards vs quirks mode)
v1.4 - Released April 25, 2014
- Changing links from skratchdot.github.io -> projects.skratchdot.com
v1.3 - Released October 5, 2013
- Changing links from skratchdot.github.com -> skratchdot.github.io
v1.2 - Released November 17, 2012
v1.1 - Released November 6, 2012
Fixing IE bug when rendering Node.DOCUMENT_TYPE_NODE
Reformatting source code.
v1.0 - Released July 25, 2011
- IE Quirks/Bugs listed in the Browser Support section above
- Unsupported node types:
- Node.ENTITY_REFERENCE_NODE === 5
- Node.ENTITY_NODE === 6
- Node.PROCESSING_INSTRUCTION_NODE === 7
- Node.NOTATION_NODE === 12